Update: North Market Mixed-Use Project
North Market Mixed-Use Project to feature a meaningful market expansion, dynamic new residential, office, retail, independent hotel, parking and more. In the next chapter of its long, essential history, Columbus’s iconic North Market has approved a deal that would soon provide for its preservation and expansion as part of the unprecedented North Market Mixed-Use Project.
The North Market Mixed-Use Project will be transformational for the core of Columbus, injecting approximately 600,000 SF of North Market expansion with residential, office and retail spaces, an independent hotel, and public space. The North Market Mixed-Use Project is the result of close collaboration among the North Market Development Authority, the State of Ohio, Franklin County, the City of Columbus, and the development team, the North Market Development Collaborative. The resulting North Market Mixed-UseProject will deliver a new and dynamic demand base to the Market, driving merchant sales and infusing fresh energy into the landmark destination benefitting the market, the merchants, and the City. Working closely with the North Market Development Authority, neighborhood leaders and the City, the North Market Development Collaborative created a plan that will provide long-term stable income, preservation of the North Market’s existing facilities and character, and significant, versatile expansion space to further its mission and impact.
image courtesy of NBBJ
Modern Amenities, Significant Expansion The North Market Mixed-Use Project will expand the North Market by approximately 50%, providing more than 11,000 SF of new and unique merchant, event, and outdoor spaces. The result will be a multitude of new, exciting opportunities for the Market and local merchants to develop expanded experiences to further enhance the culture and character of Columbus. “Merchant success and stability have been at the forefront of the planning process with the merchants and the North Market Development Authority,” said Collin Castore, merchant board representative and owner of The Barrel & Bottle at the North Market. “As The Project becomes a reality, we will remain open to serve the community, including a full schedule of events and popular activities including our Farmers’ Market. The continued vitality of the merchants, the lifeblood of the Market, is a critical focus for all involved,” added Castore. The North Market Development Collaborative plans to maintain access and offer convenient parking alternatives for North Market customers, employees and suppliers throughout the development and construction of the North Market Mixed-Use Project.
image courtesy of NBBJ
Enhanced Market and New Features North Market Mixed-Use Project will offer:
- 11,000+SF of significant North Market expansion, connecting directly to the existing building. The existing building will retain all of the historic Market’s features, and the expansion will include 3,900 SF of new merchant space, 4,400 SF of public and event space, and 3,300 SF of flexible outdoor space for programming and activation.
- 150 premier residential units providing for the growing number of people who want to live in a dynamic, walkable urban core with direct access to one-of-a-kind amenities.
- 90,000 SF of prime, Class A, office space, designed to attract growing and creative businesses and employees.
- 200-room, independent, boutique hotel providing guests an elevated, authentic and immersive experience as well as progressive amenities seldom available outside gateway markets, complementing the growing sophistication of the Columbus hospitality marketplace.
- Extensive bar and restaurant concepts, as well as new indoor and outdoor activated spaces including a creative, new rooftop experience, curated ground-floor retail, and state-of-the-art wellness facility.
- The Project will establish a capital fund for future capital needs of the North Market and also create an inclusive living environment with both luxury options as well as housing Columbus residents can afford.
- 352 parking spaces in the new garage.
Work is expected to begin in mid 2020 with an estimated completion in late 2022.